We could all benefit from a more proactive rather than reactive approach to health, especially when it comes to our immune system during the colder winter months.
This scrumptious soup recipe to be rich in immune supportive ingredients including ginger, turmeric, leek, garlic, carrot and cauliflower and some zinc rich pepitas for the crunch factor on top.
Get ahead and try this immune boosting soup to guard your families immune system before the winter kicks in.
Carrot Cauliflower Soup with Crunchy Tamari Pepitas
Gluten free, Dairy free and Vegan
2 tablespoons (40mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 large (150g) leek
4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
2 tablespoons ginger, sliced into thin sticks
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1.2kg carrots, trimmed and chopped
1 head (1.3kg) cauliflower, cut into florets
1.8L vegetable stock or broth
Sea salt and black pepper
To serve: fresh chopped coriander leaves and stalks
1/2 cup pepitas
2 teaspoons (10mL) tamari
2 teaspoons (10mL) extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large heavy based saucepan on medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil, leek and garlic, and ginger, cover and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add turmeric, cumin, paprika and cook stirring for 1 minute, then add carrots, cauliflower florets, stock and season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Cover and bring to the boil, then remove lid, reduce heat to simmer, and cook a further 40 minutes.
4. Whilst the soup is cooking make the tamari pepitas by heating oven to 180C and lining a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
5. Combine tamari and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl, add pepitas and toss together to coat, then spread evenly over the baking tray and place in oven to bake for 8-10 minutes, tossing once throughout the cooking process.
6. Cool soup slightly then blend until smooth.
7. Serve in bowls topped with tamari pepitas and fresh coriander. Store in fridge up to 1 week or freezer up to 2 months. Pepitas best stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use.